This excerpt is from The Law of Happiness by Dr. Henry Cloud. I just read this today and wanted to share. I find this to be true. How many can you say are true about yourself? “Happy people are active, not passive, in their pursuit of life. If you look at some of the activities that research has proven produces happiness, you’ll see that it takes effort and investment. For example, happy people invest their time:
* Building deep relationships and community: they belong to support groups, participate in Bible studies, or have structured times of getting together with friends and family and nurturing those relationships.
* Being involved in growth activities: they see a coach or a counselor or attend some kind of growth group.
* Pursuing goals: they have physical, financial, vocational, avocational, or other goals they’re working toward.
* Serving others: they have found meaningful ways to give of their time and talents.
* Nurturing a spiritual life: they devote time to spiritual activities, such as prayer, medication, Bible study, retreats, and so forth.
* Exercising and staying healthy: they have some sort of routine that they follow to stay active and pursue a healthy lifestyle.
* Practicing gratitude: they regularly express gratitude to God and others.
* Pursuing activities they love: they find their passions and pursue them
* Stretching themselves: they look for activities and goals that push them to be all they can be.
* Resolving pain and conflicts: whether in relationships or in their own souls, happy people do not avoid problems but do what is necessary to heal them.”
There are 2 ways people will react after hearing this…. the 1st will get up and get moving. He/she will join a support group, Weight Watchers, sign up for a class, etc The 2nd type will read this, find resonance with it, want to pursue change…. but will probably not do anything at all. Is there hope for them? YES! These are the ones who just need a little push. They need energy and structure. Not everyone can self motivate. I suggest you maybe try getting a life coach or accountability partner or therapist so you can keep moving. If a life coach is what you desire…. contact me and we’ll get you moving in the right direction. I believe all my clients are naturally creative, resourceful and whole. You may just need a little push. If therapy is what you desire, contact me and I can put you in touch with some good therapists.
Love and Laughter Life Coaching, LLC (Helping Happiness Happen….. One Step at a Time)